Your hair is your crowning glory. Thus, it is necessary to invest time, money and effort in ensuring that your hair is looking its best all the time. But it does not mean that you need to spend a great deal on hair care products – it is all about establishing a hair care routine that promotes healthy hair and prevent damage.
Is having a healthier, more beautiful hair part of your resolution for the new year? Here are some tips to jumpstart your effort:
1. Keep hair clean at all times. Even though daily washing is not recommended, you have to find all means possible to making sure that your hair is free of dirt, sweat, and other irritants that might result in messy hair. Those with short hair have to make extra effort at cleaning up hair because there is less hair that will trap off dirt from penetrating into the scalp.
2. Minimise use of gel or mousse on hair. These products are known to contain alcohol, which will result in dryness with excessive use. In addition to making your hair look and feel dry, it can also contribute to damage.
3. Give conditioner enough time to work before rinsing off. You might be using conditioner on a daily basis but you are wondering why you are not enjoying the benefits it promise to bring your hair. Well, maybe it’s time to check if you are giving it enough time to penetrate into the strands and do its work before you rinse the conditioner away.
4. Invest in hair care products with SPF. Your hair, like the skin, can also be damaged from the sun’s heat. Make sure that you choose products with SPF to ensure that your locks are protected from the heat.
5. Prepare a cider vinegar rinse. This natural rinsing agent can do wonders for your hair. Make sure to occasionally use it onto your hair for a naturally clean and healthy hair.
6. Do use a wide tooth comb right after applying conditioner in the shower. This will not only ensure even distribution of conditioner throughout your hair length, but also facilitates in the detangling process.
7. Minimise ponytail. While ponytails are great for styling on-the-go, the friction and pull your hair is experiencing can weaken and even cause it to break over time. The same goes with buns.
8. Choose your ponytail or bun holders wisely. Make sure that the ones you use on your hair have no metal parts in them because these can cause hair to break.
9. Refrain from using nylon bristle brushes or those that come with bare wire. These materials can scratch your scalp and tend to become too rough.
10. In addition to the tip above, you should always go for brushes with tipped ends whenever you can. These provide cushion on your scalp and hair with every brush stroke.
11. Never ever use a high heat setting when working with hot tools such as blow dryer, curling iron, and hair straightener. Sounds obvious? Well, it must be reiterated because several women still commit this fatal mistake.
12. In addition to keeping your heat settings at a minimum, a diffuser is your best friend whenever you’re working with the blow dryer.
13. Never use a fine tooth comb on thick and curly hair. Use a brush instead and follow gentle strokes.
14. When curling your hair, opt for the ceramic over metal curling irons. They create better curls and less damage.
15. Cover your hair whenever you can. This will prevent your hair from being exposed to irritants such as dust, sweat, and other source of filth.
16. A hat is your friend. Whether you are going out in a hot or cold weather, keep those locks protected. And look stylish, too!
17. When swimming in a pool, always wash your hair after. Chlorine is not good for your hair.
18. Always bring an elastic tie when you are going to be exposed to windy conditions. Make sure hair is tied in the back to keep it in place and avoid tangling.
19. Wear a bathing cap whenever you use a pool (if possible). This will prevent contact with chlorine or exposing your hair to the sun’s heat (especially when you are swimming outdoors).
20. Keep a spray bottle of water in your bag at all times. This will provide you with a quick restyling tool to keep away frizz and make hair look fresh.
What is your hair care and styling resolution for the new year?