Is your hair dry and brittle? Are your locks lacking its natural shine and lustre? Does your hair feel and look like straw? These are tell-tale signs that you could have damaged hair. But if you answered “yes” to the above questions, don’t panic yet. There is still a way to reverse the signs of damage and keep it from spreading.
Knowing what to do as soon as you see the signs of damage is critical in maintaining beautiful and healthy hair. Here are some tips to help you address the signs of damage on your hair as soon as they appear:
• Handle your hair with utmost care from now on. Treat it like you would when trying to cure a sick child – your goal is to keep other factors that could potentially jeopardize the ailment further. Adapt the same philosophy when caring for damaged hair. Be extra gentle when washing hair and avoid vigorous rubbing.
• Condition the ends. The ends are most vulnerable to damage because the product often does not reach the ends. Hence, focus application of conditioners to the ends to ensure that it is properly nourished and hydrated. If possible, leave the conditioner on longer than recommended for optimum results (but don’t leave it too long either).
• Certain ingredients facilitate in restoring damaged hair with their moisturising and nourishing properties. If you want to re-hydrate your stressed and dried up tresses, look for shampoos and conditioners containing silk proteins, panthenol, aloe vera, and glycerol. But if your hair is lacking nourishment, hair care products made with argan oil, shea butter, macadamia nut oil, and wild brier oil, or other types of plant oils repair and protect the individual hair.
• Stay away from chemical or colouring treatments. Exposing damaged hair to more chemicals will only mean suicide for your hair. If you want to save what’s left off of your damaged hair, avoid colouring hair and go natural for a while until you have fully restored its health back to normal.
• Stop the split ends! Split ends are always there where damage exists, especially for your hair. The ends are the ones that get damaged immediately so you need to give it the right amount of care and attention. There are several split ends fluid sold in the market that you can apply directly to the ends. A few drops can go a long way in restoring moisture to the ends.
How do you cope with damaged hair?