Detangling hair is never as easy as it seems. Despite the fact that it is a common problem faced by most women, it still manages to tick you off. But don’t let your emotions get in the way or else your frustration could end up causing more damage than good. Here are some of the useful tips that you can use to make getting rid of those tangles a lot easier:
- Determine what caused the knots and tangles to form. Among the common causes of tangles include split ends, dried up hair, rough hair, and wind. It is important that you get to the cause so you know what remedies you can do to get rid of those tangles.
- Apply conditioner or oil into your hair. Since tangles are a pain to remove on their own, applying oil or conditioner will help to add moisture and make it easier to un-tangle them. However, you must rub the oil in your hands first and gently apply it to the tangled area. Choose mild formulas instead of the ones used for manufacturing shampoo since your goal isn’t to clean the hair but rather to simply remove the knots.
- Make sure you work on removing tangles on dry hair instead of wet hair as the latter tends to weaker and more prone to damage. Work on your tangles from the bottom up so you do not have to keep pushing more knots to the ends.
- Divide your hair into smaller sections and work one section at a time. It is easier to remove tangles when you are dealing with smaller sections. Also, refrain from tugging on your hair as it might cause it to break or split.
- Follow proper combing techniques when you are trying to remove tangles. Take your time when combing and use short strokes. Eventually, you need to progress into longer strokes to cover more area. Also, you need to comb at an angle, ideally 45 degrees, so you can minimise the friction.
- Use moisturisers such as styling crème or mousse to infuse lost moisture into your hair. As mentioned above, dry hair tends to suffer from tangles and knots more than smooth hair because the hair strands cling onto the neighboring strands. This is also a quick styling trick because it helps to increase volume on your hair.
- Wear your hair in a ponytail. You might prefer to keep your hair down but breeze, friction and several other factors can result to tangling and formation of knots. By wearing your hair in a ponytail, you can keep that from happening but make sure that you use a cloth-covered plastic band to tie your hair with.
How do you deal with tangled hair and knots?