Curly hair can be a pain to deal with. A lot of naturally curly women complain about not being able to keep their hair in control. Indeed, it tends to fall flat or become extremely frizzy. It is therefore important to know about the proper care methods for curly hair to ensure that you can preserve its natural beauty and health.
Golden Rules of Curly Hair Care
• If you have curly hair, you should not wash hair more than twice a week. If you do so, it will strip hair off the natural oils and make it extremely dry. The oils help to make curly hair more manageable and to naturally resist frizz. Without it, your curly hair can quickly turn into a big ball of mess.
• Using narrow tooth combs and brushes is a no-no for curly women. Using these hair tools can cause separation between each strand, which makes hair become more voluminous than you’d want it to be. Opt for a wide-tooth comb instead.
• Start in the shower if you want to effectively de-tangle hair. Use your fingers to start the de-tangling process after conditioning. You can also use a wide-tooth comb in the shower once the hair is initially sorted out. Do not do this on dry hair as it will only make your hair extremely frizzy.
• Always air dry curly hair. Blow drying must be avoided when you have curly hair. To aid in quicker drying time, blot your hair with a paper towel or absorbent towel, especially when it is still sopping wet.
• Maintaining moisture is of utmost importance for curly hair. Always bring a shine serum or mousse with you at all times to keep curls in control when frizz starts to form.
Choosing the Right Product
There are a few hair care and styling products that suit curly hair better than those with naturally straight hair. Take note of these guidelines when it comes to choosing the right product for your curly hair:
Shampoo: A new hair care trend amongst curly and natural women involves a method called as “No Poo”. This method of natural hair care entails skipping shampoo and simply using conditioner. But if you do not like skipping shampoo, you can opt for creamy shampoos as this works well with curly hair.
Conditioner: For curly hair that comes with stubborn frizz, you cannot simply condition hair to your heart’s content. Make sure that you use a heavy conditioner for your daily shower and then undergo a deep conditioning treatment once per week.
How do you take care of your curly hair? Do you live by the above hair care tips?