So much for all the glamourised summer beauty photos, it is actually more difficult to maintain your makeup in extreme hot weather. Even if you might spend hours prepping your makeup in the morning, as soon as you step out and get exposed to the excruciating heat, you will begin to notice how your makeup starts to melt, too. Add to that the sweat and UV rays from the sun and it’s a beauty disaster.
1. Glossy lipsticks do not work in the summer time. For this reason, a lot of women switch to using a matte finish. But if you do not like to buy a new one, you can simply blot a tissue over your lipstick right after application. If you have translucent powder, you can brush it on top of your lipstick too.
2. Never go outside without applying a UV protector on your hair. The sun’s rays and heat can quickly cause your hair to get de-hydrated. With enough UV protection, you can stop colour fading and fried ends.
3. You might have used illuminator on certain parts of your face to create that natural shimmer when the sun’s rays hit your face. But did you know that it can also create the effect of having fuller lips? Use a liquid formula and apply it directly the bow of your lips.
4. Even though there are proof that shows how over-exfoliation can lead to skin irritation, make sure to incorporate it into your summer beauty routine. Exfoliating your skin helps to get rid of dead skin cells that make your skin look dull. A weekly or bi-weekly exfoliation is good enough for maintaining a healthy glow to your skin throughout summer. Go for ones made with gentle beads so it won’t irritate your skin.
5. Do you notice your lips get dry quickly in the summer? It is also important to exfoliate your lips during the summer so they stay plumped up and well moisturised. For on-the-go fix, use a wet washcloth and blot it over your lips. It is also good to carry around a hydrating lip balm for an instant makeover for your lips.
6. Do you want to get that sun-kissed effect on your face but afraid that tanning or bronzing might be over-doing it? Try this easy trick: mix a crushed bronzer to your daily facial moisturiser. It is a great way to achieve a smooth and streak-free colour to your face.
7. Hot showers are a no-no during summer. The heat can strip off natural oils from your skin, causing it to look dry and lacklustre. Stick to lukewarm water. Then, apply a body butter or balm all over your skin as soon as you step out of the shower. It is important to do this on wet skin so it will better able to retain moisture.
8. Finally, the most important tip for maintaining your summer beauty: do not forget the sunscreen. It is important all-year round but even more so during summer. Make sure you find a sunscreen that is suited for your hair type to ensure maximum protection.
What is your beauty secret for the summer? Don’t forget to share them in the comments as we’d love to know!