Unlike your skin, your hair is not prone to sunburn. But that does not mean it is exempt from getting damaged. During spring and summer, it is not just the sun that you should be careful of – there are salt water, chlorine and humidity to think about. As a consequence, your hair becomes dry and have a straw-like texture. You can also notice the colour pigments in the hair become bleached out.
Hence, it is important to come up with hair care strategies to guard your hair against harmful UV rays.
* Use UV protection products. Shampoos and conditioners formulated with UV and sunscreen protection provide the last line of defense against harmful rays from the sun against your hair. Make sure you use them as part of your daily hair care routine during hot weather days, such as in spring or summer.
* Always shower with fresh water after swimming in the pool or ocean. This will help eliminate any residues of chlorine or salt water that can have a damaging effect on your hair.
* Get the right amount of protection. When shopping for hair products in spring or summer incorporated with UV protection, make sure to choose 10-15 sunscreen level for maximum benefits. You can find several hair products with SPF 12 in the market today and this is a suitable choice.
* Clarify! If there is ever a time wherein clarifying is vital, it is most evident during spring and summer. Use a clarifying shampoo or undergo clarifying treatment at least once a week. The SPF hair products can leave behind residue that have its own set of detrimental effects to your hair as well.
* Apply a UV protection hair product directly on your scalp, specifically in the area where you part your hair. The part of your scalp exposed to direct sun exposure can burn and peel. Make sure you prevent that by infusing enough sun protection.
* With temperature rising, getting proper moisture on your hair is vital in your spring hair care routine. A weekly deep conditioning treatment helps to ensure that you can keep your locks hydrated. If your hair is not getting enough moisture, it makes it easier for sun’s UV rays to break down the keratin in the hair, which consequently makes it weak and brittle.
Practical Hair Tips
In addition to the tips above, you can protect hair from harmful UV rays by following these measures:
* Wear your hat! This is the simplest step you can take to provide UV protection to your hair. As a bonus, it makes for a fashionable spring or summer wear, too.
* Create your own SPF. If you cannot find a reliable product that provides UV protection, why not make your own? If for example you have purchased a hair product with SPF 25, mix a couple teaspoons of the SPF formula with a cup of water. Pour it onto a spray bottle for ease of application. You can regularly mist it onto your hair for added protection.
* Utilise nature’s protection. Proper diet is always a key component in health and beauty. The same holds true for your hair. Creating a diet plan especially suited for your hair and its protection against harmful UV rays is of the essence. Make sure you are getting enough amount of beta-carotene, and vitamins C and E for spring. Fruits such as grapes and berries are rich in antioxidants that fight free radicals brought on by UV sun rays. Meanwhile, you should also incorporate these vegetables in your diet: broccoli, spinach, etc.
Any tip we’ve missed? Share yours in the comment section below!