As much as heat can cause damage to your hair, the rain can also bring its fair share of hair dilemmas. It is therefore important to guard yourself with rainy day hair care tips to be ready in case you are caught in the midst of a downpour. Here are some tips to take note of when you hear that first round of thunder or when you anticipate a rainy day ahead:
Rainy Day Hair Care: Why Care?
If you thought that there is no big deal about getting your hair wet in the rain, think again. Rain water is usually high in acidity level (and not to mention, dirty). Before you leave the house, make sure to bring an umbrella or anything to cover your hair from the rain. You want to keep your hair dry whenever possible.
Wash Hair Immediately
If, in the inevitable scenario that, you were caught in the middle of the rain and you wet your hair from the rain, make sure you dry it immediately. But before you do, wash it with shampoo. Do not let your hair that has been wet by the rain to dry on its own without washing.
Use a Wide Tooth Comb
While letting your freshly washed hair dry, use a wide tooth comb to sort through your hair. When your hair is wet by rain water, it has the tendency to weaken or become fragile. By using a wide tooth comb, you can prevent putting too much pressure on your strands as you brush.
Preventive Hair Care
Aside from the tips above, you can take preventive hair care measures so your hair is protected from all the woes that rainy days bring. Here are some hair care tips to incorporate to your routine:
- Use an anti-frizz serum. Frizz is one of the worst problems for your hair during rainy days. You can prevent this problem from happening by applying anti-frizz product before they appear. Make sure to use a small amount of product and don’t overdo it.
- Make sure your hair is completely dry. It does not matter if it is a humid or cloudy day when you step out of the house. It is important to completely dry your hair before you step out and expose it to the elements. When hair is still wet, it will easily absorb all of the extra humidity and moisture in the air.
- Avoid touching your hair too often. Even if you use anti-frizz products to protect your hair from the rain, touching your strands can introduce unnecessary oil and moisture to your hair strands that can be an equation for disaster during rainy days.
- Wear an updo. This is your safest bet against rainy days. Plus, there are several updo styles you can choose from.
- Bring an umbrella. To make sure you don’t get rained on, the best rainy day hair care tip to follow is to protect your hair from the rain altogether. Don’t forget to bring an umbrella, just in case.
Rainy days might be good for cuddling and staying in bed. But when you’re out and about, make sure your hair is protected from the rain. Or better yet, follow the tips above on what you should do to take care of your hair during rainy days.